Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Day Two of Contest, Plus Review of The Sapphire Flute

Thirteen days to go until The Key of Kilenya is released! And welcome to Day Two of The Key of Kilenya Contest! :-)


For information about the contest (including prizes, rules and the other day entries), go here.

Before getting into the entry things, I wanted to take a moment to tell you about Karen Hoover's book, The Sapphire Flute, since it's one of the prize options. I just finished reading it and really enjoyed it.

Basically, it's about two teenage girls. The first is Ember (my favorite). She's always wanted to learn magic, but her mother refuses to allow it, even though all of Ember's brothers did. Magic starts to manifest itself inside of her, upsetting her mother, and forcing Ember to seek training. She discovers she's different from other magi--in a really, really awesome and cool way. I felt very close to Ember's character - she really pulled me into the story.

Next, there's Kayla, who is an amazing flautist. I really liked Karen's descriptions of Kayla and how she played. It was a lot of fun to see Kayla succeed, and really heartbreaking to see her fail (all main characters should succeed and fail at things - the story isn't believable if they don't). On one hand, I didn't feel as close to Kayla - I felt like her emotions were either too strong, or not strong enough. On the other, Karen did an excellent job at showing Kayla's true intentions. It wasn't difficult to put myself in Kayla's shoes during the stressful times.

The book is a YA fantasy. If you like this genre, The Sapphire Flute will appeal to you - it has both familiar magical themes, and unique things. Definitely enough of the unique to keep my interest, as I'm sure it will yours. :-) I'll be reading the book again, and can't wait for the next installment in the series. Also, Karen will be joining us on Wattpad soon. Yay! :-)

To listen to her describe her book, check out her website here. She's posted a video with more details about this book and the series.


Now, on to the entries!!

The number in parenthesis after the items listed below is the number of entries you'll get for completing that task. For example, if you answer both questions regarding chapter two correctly, you'll get four points. (And so on and so forth)

And here are those tasks! (Exciting, no? :-))

Questions (if answered incorrectly, the entries won't count):

  • Question from Chapter Two of The Key of Kilenya: What are the creatures Jacob runs into called? (2)
  • Question from Chapter Two of The Key of Kilenya: With what do they heal Jacob? (2)
  • Question from Chapter Three of The Key of Kilenya: Who is Aldo? (2)
  • Question from Video, Andrea Pearson's Interests: What are my two favorite TV shows? (2)
Other Entry Options:
If you've already done the above, let me know and I'll give you the entries. :-)

Please don't comment on this blog with the answers. Send me an email (ap AT andreapearsonbooks DOT com) telling me the answers to the above questions and which of the other entries you completed. Make sure the subject of the email says something along the lines of "contest."

Oh, and don't forget to use the same email address for each entry, and to give me a name (Wattpad user name works), so I know where to give credit. :-)

    No comments:

    Post a Comment