Monday, August 10, 2009

Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians

Five out of five stars.
Author: Brandon Sanderson
First installment in the Alcatraz series

Before commenting on this book, I have to note the fact that I didn't buy it but got it from the library. (Funds permitting, it will be added to my personal library as soon as possible.) Out of the several librarians who were nearby when I checked it out, only one had read it, and I couldn't help but laugh at their expressions and opinions when we talked about the main idea behind the book. Evil Librarians: what an ingenious and hilarious idea!

Alcatraz is a thirteen year old boy who has no idea what being a Smedry really means. The story begins when his grandfather shows up and explains to Alcatraz that the fact that he's constantly breaking things is actually a talent. (The grandpa's talent, the ability to arrive late, made me laugh several times throughout the book.)

Brandon Sanderson tells this story as if he himself were Alcatraz Smedry. He lets us in on a lot of secrets about our world, including the fact that we are controlled and contained by evil librarians who tell lies and re-write history to hide important information and knowledge from us. (Read the book to find out what information.) The only thing I can say about this is that it is completely refreshing and enjoyable. I laughed out loud several times (annoying my family, of course) at the odd and hilarious narratives and explanations.

I highly recommend this book to anyone of any age.

Back to Book Review Index

1 comment:

  1. Brandon Sanderson is brilliant. When he talks about writing it makes you want to record every word for future reference! I've not read this book yet, but suspect I will love it.

    ReplyDelete