Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Review of Pacific Rim (movie)

My husband and I finally were able to go see Pacific Rim. Yay!

There will be spoilers in this review. I'll keep them as small as I can so as not to ruin anything for anyone who wants to watch the movie and read this post. But you have been warned. :-)

I gave Pacific Rim 8 out of 10 stars. I loved it. What did I expect? It was directed by Guillermo del Toro! :-) While watching, I kept thinking, "I'm loving this!"

Here's what worked for me:

1. The soundtrack. There were several times throughout the movie where I noticed, and appreciated the music. The reason I noticed it? The composer mainly used real instruments, not synthesized sound affects. I loved that! Especially during the scary parts or the intense fights - those tubas and french horns were amazing. :-)

2. The freakin' cool, wide-scale, huge, vast size of everything. The Kiaju's were awesome monstrosities - I'd be completely terrified if one attacked my city. I loved their designs and weapons. The Jaeger's (really hard for me not to type Jaegar, since that's a character in my Kilenya Series :-)) were huge. The amount of damage and destruction these two caused while fighting was realistic and actually satisfying. (Yes. I'm one of those girls who likes explosions and some destruction. :-))

3. Pretty much everything else, except what I mention below. The pacing was strong, and the movie was excellent from the beginning. I enjoyed the main characters. I LOVED LOVED LOVED the fact that the main chick was Japanese and that they destroyed Hong Kong instead of New York. I loved that everything was global - there's only so many times monsters can attack Chicago or Los Angeles before I get bored of those cities. Oh, and that three-armed Jaeger was pretty sweet.

4. The romance was how it should have been! I loved the ending of the movie - it wasn't forced, it felt natural. Well done!

What didn't work for me:


1. The three-armed Jaeger only survived a quarter of a fight!! Grrr. I didn't like that.

2. The pregnant Kaiju. My husband and I looked at each other and groaned. Not another Godzilla thing... And why would they send a pregnant Kaiju out into battle in the first place? This ended up turning out okay and I was fairly satisfied in the end. Still annoyed me at first, though.

3. The side characters weren't very strong, or had personalities that were stereotyped or annoying. And all of the pilots, aside from the Asian ones, were blond. Because of this, everyone looked the same. (The Australians and the main guy.) The platinum, obviously-bleached Russians were easily to tell apart, but those other guys? Buff in the same ways, same hair color, nearly the same faces. Took me a while to figure out who everyone was. More variety, please!

Anyway. Overall, I was very satisfied by the movie. It's one of my favorite new releases. The fighting didn't feel cheesy, or like they were going for slapstick humor. (Think of the rock giants in the Hobbit... very stupid.) And speaking of humor, there wasn't a whole lot of it, but that didn't bother me in the slightest. If there had been, it would probably have been forced, since the characters weren't set up to be funny.

So, if you haven't seen it, go watch it! And don't hate me if you don't like it. :-)

Edit: I wrote the above review about two weeks ago. And I realize something today: as soon as I finished writing this review, I stopped thinking about the movie. Which to me, means the story wasn't strong enough nor the characters compelling enough. But that's fine - not all action movies can have great story lines or characters. :-) It's still a good summer flick.

5 comments:

  1. I was unimpressed with story. Actually, I was less than unimpressed. If it hadn't had the great visuals to go with it, it wouldn't have been worth watching. It's definitely worth seeing in the theater, but the movie is full of stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen it. I'll probably wait until it's on Netflix.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not visited your site for quite a long time. I don't know how come i missed this article. I just now wanted to thank you for sharing this information on your web site. A follower of mine was the first person who told me about this blog post on your site. There was so many of the things the majority of bloggers wouldn't realize when it comes to really encouraging others in this area. I do think your case is unique. Thanks

    Please visit http://clippingpathsource.com/ to know more about clipping path service.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wonderful review of Pacific Rim movie. I didn't enjoy this movie yet but i will soon because of you nice and impressive review .
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice writting and awesome movie review . thanks for sharing with us

    ReplyDelete